My 14 Favorite Sports Photos of 2014
Last year was the year that I really took my sports photography work to another level. In 2013 I saw unprecedented access, and photos. In 2014 I built on that to try and get even closer to the action. My photos were not the shots where I was just happy to be there. I was trying to tell a story, or get close enough so that you could see what was happening. I thought that this would be the hardest category to narrow down to 14, but in the end it was not that hard. I knew the photos that I wanted to show here. Once again this might not be my most technically brilliant photos, but they were the photos that I liked the best. As we approach the new year I really don’t know where the sports side of my photography is going to go next year. Only time will tell with that. I expect that the list will look much different next year though.
14. The first photo on the countdown was a very early photo in the year for me. I shot a swim meet at Purdue in early January, and as the second shooter I could take a few risks at times. I knew that we had this event covered so I slowed my shutter down to add some motion to the photo. I really liked the effect. I made a folder to place the photos that I would consider for this countdown in, and this was the first photo of the year that I put in that folder.
13. This photo was made during my first roller derby game of the season. I only was able to shoot in the middle during the bout for a short time because we were the away team, and the team that the Brawlin’ Dolls were playing was not friendly to the opposing photographer. In the short time that I was in the middle I was able to make this photo which I liked immediately. I made some photos that I really like from the event that have appeared already on this blog during the best of countdown.
12. This year once again I shot the summer ARCA race at Winchester Speedway. I made this photo as the two leaders of the race were coming through turn four. The #98 car that is sideways is Mason Mitchell who would go on to win the 2014 ARCA title. He was moved out of the way in the turn by Brandon Jones who would go on to win the race.
11. This year we went back to the Supercross race at Lucas Oil Stadium. During the practice I had some fun with some really slow exposures. You do not get a lot of winners this way. The bikes are moving in two different directions which makes panning very hard. It was a fun challenge that helped me pass the time though, and I made this photo of Ryan Villopoto who would win the race and the championship.
10. Apparently 2014 was the year of the selfie for me. I made the first photo during an early swim meet at Purdue. After it was all over the girls posed for a photo. I had deja vu after Wisconsin won the Big Ten Soccer Tournament as the team did the exact same thing. I thought that both photos taken months apart should be on the countdown.
9. I made this photo just before shooting my first NCAA Tournament game. I was a little nervous shooting a big event like this, but when I saw the photo in my viewfinder I settled down a bit. I love these huddle photos, and this one told a story as well.
8. Senior day is a day full of emotion. I helped John Underwood the Purdue photographer cover the Purdue softball senior day last year. After a very formal group photo the underclassmen had a surprise for the seniors. The silly putty started flying, and I happened to be in a good spot. This was a fun moment that I was happy to be a part of.
7. On the first day of the Big Ten Track and Field Championships I battled a steady, cold rain. I had my shots during the last event under some terrible lighting, but I wanted something a little more. I slowed my shutter down a bit to get the rain a little more elongated. With a little time on my side I made this photo of Purdue star Matt McClintock running through the rain. I was ready to get out of the cold, and into some dry clothes, but I had a few more photos to make. This was one of my favorites of the three days that I shot. Continue reading “Top 14 Sport Photos of 2014”